Alert: Hurricane Jose
Latest update: As of 6 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 20, the University is open and will be operating as normal. Community members remain advised to exercise caution when venturing outdoors.
As of 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 19, the tropical storm warning for the Newport area has been canceled. The National Weather Service indicates the Rhode Island coast will experience winds of 15-25 mph with gusts to 45 mph and expected rainfall amounts of less than three inches. Rain may be heavy at times and wind gusts may still cause downed power lines and tree branches, so community members are still asked to exercise caution when venturing outdoors.
Three of Salve Regina’s athletics events scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 19 have been postponed:
- Men’s soccer at U.S. Coast Guard Academy has been rescheduled for 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 20
- Women’s soccer at Bridgewater State University has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 21
- Women’s tennis at Nichols College has been rescheduled for 4 p.m. Monday, Sept. 25
Newport (Pell) Bridge Construction
The start of the Newport (Pell) Bridge deck repair project, originally scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 19, has been delayed to Thursday, Sept. 21.
Cybersecurity Panel Discussion
The Pell Center for International Relations and Public Policy’s panel discussion on cybersecurity and the health care industry, originally scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 20, has been postponed to Wednesday, Oct. 11.
- The Office of Safety and Security is open 24/7. The best number to reach them is (401) 341-2325. If you are unable to reach Safety and Security by phone, notify your RA or area coordinator.
- If you experience a power loss, contact Safety and Security. Emergency crews from National Grid will be on call during the storm and will restore power as soon as possible.
- Charge your cell phone ahead of time. In the event of a prolonged power loss, this will ensure that you have cell phone usage.
- You should never use candles, even if the power goes out.
Important Phone Numbers
- Safety and Security (24 hours): (401) 341-2325
- National Grid power outage: (800) 465-1212
- National Grid gas leak: (800) 640-1595