Class of 2021 invited to apply for Service Plunge
Members of the Class of 2021 are invited to apply for this year’s Service Plunge, which provides a select group of new students with a challenging and fun opportunity to lead and learn through active experiences.
Through direct and indirect service, “plungees” learn the importance of service, social justice and civic engagement. They also meet community needs, identify and build upon community assets and share their experiences with the campus community.
This year’s Service Plunge will be held Aug. 30 to Sept. 3. Applications are available online and should be submitted by noon Friday, June 30.
Participants will work with the following community partners:
- Child & Family, the largest and most comprehensive social service provider in Newport County. Volunteers will assist in the Sandpipers Early Learning Center, an early care and education program.
- God’s Community Garden, which grows thousands of pounds of fresh vegetables and herbs for local soup kitchens, senior centers, shelters and food pantries. Volunteers will dig, pick and care for the plants and work the farm stand.
- Rhode Island Food Bank, which distributes food to people in need through a statewide network of 160 member agencies, including food pantries, meal sites, shelters, youth programs and senior centers.
- Norman Bird Sanctuary, a 325-acre bird sanctuary, nature preserve and museum. The sanctuary preserves and protects its habitats and resources for the benefit of birds and wildlife, and for people’s education and enjoyment.
- Gifts to Give, through which kids donate their gently-used clothes, toys and books and then volunteer to process, organize and package the donations, transforming them into individual gift packages.
For more information on this year’s Service Plunge, contact the Office of Community Service at (401) 341-2440 or email@example.com.