Fun Fridays: 5 simple recipes to try at home
Posted On April 24, 2020
Article by Emily Whelan ’20
With most restaurants closed around us, there is no better time to start cooking and baking in your own kitchen. Whether you’ve never turned on the stove or the kitchen in your home, the following recipes are sure to keep you busy and well-fed during quarantine. Follow the step-by-step instructions for delicious meals and drinks. They are easy, quick and will have you covered for any hour of the day.
Something for the Morning: Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches
- In a bowl, beat 4 eggs and 1 tablespoon water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Add eggs to skillet, stirring with a rubber spatula for 2 minutes.
- Once cooked, spoon the eggs onto the bottom half of an English muffin.
- Add on spinach, ham, cheese or whatever you like, then add on the top of the muffin.
Something to Boost your Energy: Whipped Coffee (the recipe you’ve seen on Tik Tok)
- Combine 2 tablespoons granulated instant coffee, ½ tablespoon sugar and 2 tablespoons hot water in a medium-sized bowl.
- Use a whisk or an electric mixer to whip the ingredients together until creamy.
- Pour the mixture on top of a glass of milk with ice.
- Stir to combine the two layers and enjoy!
Something Extra Healthy: Frozen Fruit Smoothie
- Combine in blender one sliced banana, 2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 cup. vanilla yogurt, ½ cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons honey.
- Process until smooth.
- Pour into a mason jar and enjoy!
Something for Dinner: Homemade Pizza
- Mix 2 ½ cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon fast rise yeast in a large bowl.
- Mix 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon oil in a separate bowl, then add to the flour mixture.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes on a floured surface.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise for 20 minutes.
- Place dough on a 12-inch greased pizza pan and pat in a circle.
- Mix ¼ cup tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and spread on crust.
- Sprinkle 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese on top of dough.
- Add on your favorite toppings!
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Something Sweet: Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Combine 1 cup salted peanut butter and ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon maple syrup in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add in ¾ cup oat flour and stir until all ingredients form a cookie dough ball.
- Divide the cookie dough into 12 pieces and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-18 minutes, or until the sides are golden brown.
- Let them cool and enjoy!
Each Friday, SALVEtoday will provide fun ideas and experiences to encourage and uplift the University community during this time of remote living and learning. #salvesgotthis #funfridays