International Education Week celebrates benefits of worldwide exchange
International Education Week, an annual opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide, will be celebrated at Salve Regina Nov. 11-15. Events will focus on student mobility, providing the information, tools and resources needed to cross borders for the purpose of education.
A joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education, International Education Week is sponsored by the Office of International Programs with the support of Salve Regina’s student global ambassadors, the International Student Club, the Department of Modern Languages, Language House, McKillop Library and the Office of Career Development.
- “Capture It” photo contest: Daily in McKillop Library and on Facebook. Vote for the best photos from Salve Regina’s study abroad students.
- International quiz:Daily in McKillop Library. Answer international trivia questions and compete for prizes.
- Global ambassador information sessions:4 p.m. Monday-Thursday in Drexel Hall. The global ambassadors program connects students interested in studying abroad with students who have studied abroad.
Monday, Nov. 11
- Spanish conversation table:2 p.m., McKillop Library cafe. Join visiting Fulbright teaching assistant Dayana Tolosa and other Spanish learners for a chance to practice your Spanish and learn more about Spanish cultures.
- International Fellowships 101: 4 p.m., O’Hare Academic Building, Room 264. Learn about an array of competitions to support funded opportunities to study, research and work abroad.
- Oxford information session:5 p.m., O’Hare Academic Building, Room 209. Learn more about Salve Regina’s short-term study abroad program in Oxford, England, where students can spend four weeks earning six credits from a variety of academic disciplines.
- International Student Club karaoke night: 7 p.m. Bazarsky Lecture Hall
Tuesday, Nov. 12
- French conversation table:11 a.m., McKillop Library cafe. Join visiting Fulbright teaching assistant Adeline Bauthamy and other French learners for a chance to practice your French and learn more about French cultures.
- Teach abroad:4 p.m., McAuley Hall, Room 105. Explore the many global opportunities to teach abroad. Come consider a non-traditional way of building your experience and knowledge across borders.
- Ireland information session:5:15 p.m., O’Hare Academic Building, Room 220. Learn more about this two-week summer program tied to a spring semester course in service learning (nursing).
- French and Spanish refreshments and Spanish film night:7 p.m., Language House at Carnlough Cottage. Enjoy macarons and empanadas followed by a screening of the film “También la Lluvia.”
Wednesday, Nov. 13
- Study abroad information table:9:45-11:15 a.m., McKillop Library cafe. Receive information about Salve Regina’s short-term, semester and year-long programs from study abroad alumni.
- Spanish conversation table:11 a.m., McKillop Library cafe. Join visiting Fulbright teaching assistant Dayana Tolosa and other Spanish learners for a chance to practice your Spanish and learn more about Spanish cultures.
- Academic Programs International information table: 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Miley Hall lobby. Learn more about program opportunities offered by API around the globe.
- Passport day:Noon to 2 p.m., Drexel Hall. Get your first passport or renew your old one. All required forms will be available, and a representative from the U.S. Postal Service will be on hand. Learn more.
- French conversation table:2 p.m., McKillop Library cafe. Join visiting Fulbright teaching assistant Adeline Bauthamy and other French learners for a chance to practice your French and learn more about French cultures.
- Dominican Republic information session:3 p.m., Drexel Hall. Learn more about this immersive, eight-week summer program where you can use your Spanish while learning theories of community engagement, serving in community organizations and exploring the history and culture of the Hispanic Caribbean.
- International career connections night: 5:30-7:30 p.m., Ochre Court. Receive professional advice from Salve Regina graduates who have gained a variety of international employment experience, both domestically and overseas.
Thursday, Nov. 14
- Italy information session: 12:30 p.m., Drexel Hall. Learn more about this month-long summer program in Verona where students can complete 4-6 credits in a variety of disciplines.
- Austria information session: 3 p.m., Angelus Hall, Room 102. Learn more about this spring break program in Salzburg and Vienna tied to spring semester courses in music history and an interdisciplinary course on Vienna.
- Pre-departure orientation:5:30-7:30 p.m., DiStefano Lecture Hall. Designed for students going abroad in spring 2020, the session will provide information on health, safety, insurance and other logistical cultural considerations necessary to best prepare for a positive experience overseas.
- International Student Club trivia night: 7 p.m., Gerety Hall.