Science majors to present summer research July 31
Several of Salve Regina’s science majors will present their findings from a broad array of summer research projects during the eighth annual Rhode Island Summer Undergraduate Research Fellows (SURF) Conference.
Scheduled for Friday, July 31 at the University of Rhode Island, the conference is co-sponsored by Rhode Island IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (RI-INBRE) and the Rhode Island NSF Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (RI NSF EPSCoR).
During their intensive summer research programs, students spend 10 weeks working in labs and out in the field, under the guidance of faculty mentors and alongside their peers. The process emphasizes communication and analytic skills and exposes students to the many career opportunities available for scientists.
The annual conference marks the culmination of the collaborative SURF program, which involves 96 RI-INBRE students and 38 RI NSF EPSCoR students from Brown University, Bryant University, Community College of Rhode Island, Providence College, Rhode Island College, Rhode Island School of Design, Roger Williams University, Salve Regina and the University of Rhode Island. Acceptance to the program is based on a competitive application process.
Students participating in the North East Water Resources Network (NEWRnet) watershed project will also participate in the conference. Conference planners anticipate 130 scientific posters will be presented in the biomedical and life sciences, and more than 400 faculty, students, and administrators are expected to attend.
Salve Regina students presenting at the conference include:
- Heather Conboy ’16 (RI-INBRE)
- Mark Grande ’16 (RI-INBRE)
- Michelle Gregoire ’16 (RI-INBRE)
- Alexander Hulme ’16 (RI-INBRE)
- Shelby Johnson ’16 (RI-INBRE)
- Katherine Jones ’17 (RI NSF EPSCoR)
- Jennifer Kane ’16 (NEWRnet)
- Gabrielle Kuba ’18 (RI NSF EPSCoR)
- Kristin McDermott ’16 (NEWRnet)
- Kaylee Miller ’17 (RI-INBRE)
- Rhiannon Morrissey ’16 (RI NSF EPSCoR)
- Joshua Ng ’17 (RI-INBRE)
- Daniel O’Brien ’16 (RI NSF EPSCoR)
- Carla Pineyro ’18 (RI-INBRE)
- Timothy Roosa ’16 (RI NSF EPSCoR)
- Gina Swanson ’18 (RI-INBRE)
- Victoria Surette ’18 (RI-INBRE)
- Felicia Talone ’18 (RI-INBRE)
- Meaghan Trzasko ’16 (RI-INBRE)