Semester in Service program seeking volunteers
The Office of Community Service is seeking volunteers for its Semester in Service program, which connects dedicated and motivated Salve Regina students with nonprofit organizations in need of long-term volunteers.
For the fall 2015 semester, Semester in Service will run from Sept. 22 through Dec. 11. During these 11 weeks, students will volunteer 2-3 hours per week at the nonprofit organization of their choice. Transportation will be provided to all service sites.
Interested students should register for the program by Thursday, Sept. 17. For more information, visit the Semester in Service webpage or contact the Office of Community Service at (401) 341-2440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available programs include:
- Child & Family: Students are needed from 7:30-10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and/or Thursdays to serve as additional staff support in Child & Family’s early care and education center. Volunteers will work in classrooms with teachers to support all aspects of the day-to-day duties within an early childhood classroom setting.
- Girls on the Run: Students are needed from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays to foster the healthy development of young girls. Volunteers will receive training and detailed lesson plans, materials and guidance.
- Head Start: Students are needed from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays to work with children 6 weeks to 5 years old in the East Bay Community Action Program’s Head Start program. Volunteers may also have the opportunity to work with on-site nurses. Nursing students are highly encouraged to apply.
- Potter League for Animals: Students are needed from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and/or Thursdays to assist with daily morning cleaning, obedience training for dogs, training and socialization for cats, bunny socialization, clerical assistance, and outdoor projects such as landscaping and painting.
- Norman Bird Sanctuary: Students are needed from 3-5 p.m. Mondays to assist with education programs by tending to the fall garden. Volunteers will help finish up vegetable harvests, tend garden beds, add mulch to cover beds for the winter, and sow seeds for the winter in the greenhouse.