Winter storm alert: February 2016
The University is closed Monday, Feb. 8. All classes, operations and events are canceled in Newport and Warwick.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning, which is in effect through 7 a.m. Tuesday. The current forecast calls for snow accumulations of 6-10 inches, along with winds gusting to 45 mph. Students are asked not to travel unless absolutely necessary and to be mindful of slippery sidewalks and roadways.
The University will provide ongoing updates through this post, Facebook, Twitter and salve.edu email. If necessary, the University will activate its Salve-Alert text messaging system.
The Miley cafeteria and Miley Mart/Starbucks will be open with normal hours of operation Monday. Jazzman’s and Global cafes will be closed Monday.
Campus Shuttle System
The shuttle will operate on-campus only on Monday (7 p.m. to midnight). Transportation to or from Conley Hall will be handled by the Office of Safety and Security.
The library will be open from 1-8 p.m. Monday.
Rodgers Recreation Center
The Rodgers Recreation Center will close at 1 p.m. Monday.
Health Services will be open from 9 a.m. to noon Monday.
The bookstore will be open Monday (until further notice).
Snow shovels for students are available in the Office of Safety and Security. Students must turn in their Salve Regina ID in order to check out a shovel.
Parking Ban (Newport)
The city of Newport will have a parking ban in effect from 6 p.m. Monday until further notice. Residents may utilize the following parking lots free of charge during the parking ban: Gateway Center, Mary Street lot and Easton’s (First) Beach.
The following streets are designated tow zones for emergency snow removal work:
- Bellevue Avenue (Kay Street to Bowery Street)
- Friendship Street
- Spring Street
- Summer Street
- Thames Street
- Washington Square
- West Marlborough Street
- Van Zandt Avenue (J.T. Connell Memorial Road to Malbone Road)
Trash Pickup (Newport)
There will be no recycling or trash collection on Monday due to weather conditions. All collections for the week of Feb. 8 will be delayed by one day.
Parking Ban (Middletown)
The town of Middletown will have a parking ban in effect from 7 a.m. Monday through 4 p.m. Tuesday. Residents and businesses are asked to keep their sidewalks clear for pedestrian traffic.
- The Office of Safety and Security is open 24/7. The best number to reach them is (401) 341-2325. If you are unable to reach Safety and Security by phone, notify your RA or area coordinator.
- If you experience a power loss, contact Safety and Security. Emergency crews from National Grid will be on-call during the storm and will restore power as soon as possible.
- Charge your cell phone ahead of time. In the event of a prolonged power loss, this will ensure that you have cell phone usage.
- You should never use candles, even if the power goes out.
Important Phone Numbers
- Safety and Security (24 hours): (401) 341-2325
- National Grid power outage: (800) 465-1212
- National Grid gas leak: (800) 640-1595