Graduate student receives Boren Fellowship for study in Oman

Jacqueline Allee, a graduate student from Los Angeles who is enrolled in Salve’s master’s degree program in international relations, has been awarded a $20,000 Boren Fellowship to study in Oman during the 2018-2019 academic year.

Allee, who will graduate in May, will study Arabic at the Noor Majan Arabic Institute in Muscat. She is Salve Regina’s second Boren recipient, following Daniel Regan ’17, who won the undergraduate Boren for a year of study in Jordan in the academic year 2015-2016.

“I was in Washington D.C. when I received the email of my acceptance, and had visited the Pentagon and State Department that morning, hoping to myself to someday be working there,” Allee said. “So the news could not have come at a better time. I was ecstatic to the point of tears because this is a dream come true and I know how prestigious and competitive it is to be selected. It’s an incredibly gratifying feeling to know that Boren believes in my ability to master Arabic and I feel a responsibility to rise to that level.”

In Oman, Allee will be immersed in intensive (five hours per day) classes to study Modern Standard Arabic, the style of language that the U.S. government requires in order to be hired as a Language/Region/Culture Expert on the Middle East (LREC), which is her goal.

“I am interested in using Arabic as a vehicle in fostering diplomacy, such as in the foreign service, or in countering violent extremism in a media capacity in the intelligence community,” Allee said. She’s also interested in applying her Arabic skills to aid the Department of Homeland Security in creating a more robust vetting process for refugees entering the U.S.

Also while in Oman, Allee will be conducting preliminary thesis research on the country as a beacon of tolerance in the region and exploring its immunity to terrorism through interreligious dialogue. “A deeper understanding of these aspects can only be accomplished by spending a year abroad immersed there,” she said.

Allee received her undergraduate degree in sociology with a minor in Spanish from the University of California, Davis. She has also applied to Salve’s graduate program in humanities.

The David L. Boren Scholarships and Fellowships are sponsored by the National Security Education Program, a major federal initiative designed to build a broader and more qualified pool of U.S. citizens with foreign language and international skills. The award is intended to fully fund the year of intensive language study abroad. In exchange for funding, Boren award recipients agree to work in the federal government for a period of at least one year.

“The National Security Education Program is helping change the U.S. higher education system and the way Americans approach the study of foreign languages and cultures,” said Michael A. Nugent, NSEP director.

Editor’s note: Students who are interested in applying for the Boren scholarship or fellowship may seek assistance through the Office of International Programs.

15 comments

1. Peter Todd says:

Congratulations, Jacqui – couldn’t have happened to a nicer human !

2. Susana Hernández Araico says:

I have known Jacqueline since she took a Spanish class with me during her undergraduate year(s) at Cal Poly, Pomona before transfering to UC-Davis. She has kept me abreast of her academic and professional progress which I have followed with great admiration. I am so proud of her, especially now with this recent award. With her determination and educated cultural sensitivity, I know she will become fluent in Arabic in this program in Oman.

3. Christina Nemanic says:

Wow Jacque this is awesome news! I am so proud of you! Please keep me advised! Congratulations!

4. Lori Daniels says:

God Bless You, Jacquie. Your passion and excellent work ethic have prepared you for this amazing opportunity. Thank you for continuing to serve our country with your array of talents. Congratulations my friend!!!

5. Morissa says:

Congratulations Jackie! It’s great to see you one step closer and supported in realizing a goal set long ago. I look forward to the next steps- keep me posted. Truly- Risa

6. Sandy Gaines says:

Jacquie, I am so proud of you, you’ve worked so hard to get where you are. I personally know this. You have friends all over the world and it’s amazing how much you have done and I know how much you want to work for the foreign service. I’ve known you since 1996 at the Olympics and you’ve been a go-getter all the time working as hard as you can to make the world a better place. You have accomplished a lot and I am so proud- when do you leave? Give me a call before you go if you have a chance. I love you and you set the world ablaze, Sandy

7. Jorge Marquez says:

Hi Jacquie congratulations mi amiga, the best for you always
    you deserve it, if you are aroune here call please

8. Hi Little Cuz,
    I am so very proud of you, and so happy that this amazing opportunity has been granted to you, to further all your dreams along!! You have worked so hard, and have earned it!!! This is truly a part of your wonderful soul, and God does have many amazing adventures in store for you. Go live every one of them, and never stop!! We love you, and had better see you before you go!! Love Kathlyn and family.

9. Ray says:

Hola Jacque,
    All that hard work has paid off. I have watched your growth in one way or another through the years, traveling here and there, learning new languages all the time. Your love for different cultures is quite evident from all the different experiences you have had in far away countries.
    Wish you the best of luck with this great opportunity you have been given.

Saludos

Ray

10. Judy Kamholz says:

Jacquie! Great things are in store for you! I am so happy for you! I will pray for you. You are an inspiration. God’s plan for you is emerging. How exciting!

11. Yvonne mastroianni says:

What great news. You surely deserve this honor..I can see why you cried when you received the news. The hard work was rewarded. God continue to Bless you and all of your endeavors. ❤️❤️❤️Yvonne Mastroianni

12. Jennifer Darling says:

My dear Cousin,
    You Have soared high above the” average “ your entire life. Reaching for goals and dreaming of how you can make the most out of the gifts God has given you. Your faith has kept you centered and your eyes on the prize.
    “Well done my good and faithful servant “
    We are having a cousins reunion again this Fall. In LA is putting together our family history. You must complete this ! Cousin Jac, and future McFauls depend on it. Our story will live on in generation to come. And your story must be in our book!!
    Let me know how we can get together !
    Love you much
    Jen

13. Shirley says:

Jacquie, You have passion, perseverance and grit! Way to go! We are all so proud of you! Keep doing amazing things!

The Clems

14. Jeff says:

Way to go Jacquie. Most deserved.

See you on DC.

Jeff

15. Mohammed Hussein says:

I was one of the people helped Jacquie to learn Arabic
    I am So proud