Alert: Tropical Storm Hermine
Latest update: 12:30 p.m. Monday
Tropical Storm Hermine will continue to impact our area throughout the day and night with rough surf, dangerous rip currents and gusty winds up to 40 mph. The timeframe for strongest winds in our area is through 5 p.m Monday. Winds and the potential for periods of heavy rain will remain with us through Monday night and into Tuesday.
All events for Tuesday remain as scheduled, including Explorientation sessions and Convocation under the tent on the Wakehurst lawn. Community members are still reminded to use caution when traveling around campus, due to the potential for falling tree limbs.
Welcome Back BBQ
The Welcome Back BBQ scheduled for 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 6 has been moved to the Miley cafeteria, and the Fun on the Lawn activities scheduled for 6-9 p.m. have been moved to the Miley Hall garden level. Both were previously scheduled to be held on the Wakehurst/McKillop lawn.
- The Office of Safety and Security is open 24/7. The best number to reach them is (401) 341-2325. If you are unable to reach Safety and Security by phone, notify your RA or area coordinator.
- If you experience a power loss, contact Safety and Security. Emergency crews from National Grid will be on-call during the storm and will restore power as soon as possible.
- Charge your cell phone ahead of time. In the event of a prolonged power loss, this will ensure that you have cell phone usage.
- You should never use candles, even if the power goes out.
Important Phone Numbers
- Safety and Security (24 hours): (401) 341-2325
- National Grid power outage: (800) 465-1212
- National Grid gas leak: (800) 640-1595