Athletics awards McAuley Cup to the SAAC executive board, all seniors
Editor’s Note: SALVEtoday is celebrating the Class of 2021’s Senior Week with specially curated content Monday, May 3 through Friday, May 7. Senior Week will be devoted to sharing special Senior Success stories and other content relevant to the Class of 2021. Check back each day to read stories about Salve Regina’s incredible seniors.
Salve Regina University Athletics has decided to award its annual 2021 McAuley Cup — an award that honors the spirit of Catherine McAuley in an exemplary athlete at the end of each academic year — to the entire executive board of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) at Salve Regina. All of the students on the SAAC’s executive board are currently seniors.
The SAAC executive board members that received the McAuley Cup are listed below:
- Spencer Anapol ’21, football
- Paul Boutoussov ’21, men’s ice hockey
- Devyn DeFalco ’21, women’s soccer
- Ulysses Lalor ’21, men’s ice hockey
- Meghan Ryder ’21, women’s lacrosse
- Hanah Smith ’21, women’s lacrosse
The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee’s role on campus is to be the voice for student athletes, as well as to promote and encourage positive changes within Salve Regina’s community to allow for optimal performance on and off the field. SAAC strides to continue the tradition of being exceptional student-athletes, recognizing social and personal growth of all the student-athletes that proudly wear the Seahawk uniform.
Just some of the achievements that Salve Regina’s SAAC has accomplished over the past year are highlighted below:
- Shipped dental supplies to Haiti with the Mercy Center for Spiritual Life.
- Fed 50 families from Rogers High School during Thanksgiving.
- Held a summer fundraiser at Winner Winner NPT to feed local families from restaurant industry who’d been impacted by COVID-19.
- Held a Silent Walk for Equality to address racism and social justice.
- Won Commonwealth Coast Conference-wide food drive before pandemic. All goods were donated to MLK Center.
- Beach clean ups partnered with Clean Ocean Access.