Book discussion series returning for 2013-2014 academic year
Members of the Salve Regina community, along with neighbors and friends of the University, are invited to participate in “Reading Christian Classics,” a book discussion series that will continue throughout the 2013-2014 academic year. Participants are welcome to attend as many sessions as they wish.
The schedule is as follows:
- Thursday, Sept. 26: “The Long Loneliness” by Dorothy Day
- Thursday, Oct. 24: “Wise Blood” by Flannery O’Connor
- Thursday, Nov. 21: “The Great Divorce” by C.S.Lewis
- Thursday, Feb. 27: “The Return of the Prodigal Son” by Henri Nouwen
- Thursday, March 27: “Vipers’ Tangle” by Francois Mauriac
- Thursday, April 24: Assorted poems by Gerard Manley Hopkins, which are available by clicking here.
Discussions will be held in the McKillop Library’s special collections room beginning at 6:30 p.m. and will last about one hour. Each participant should furnish his or her copy of the book, read it prior to the session and come willing to share interpretations or comments.
“Reading Christian Classics” is co-sponsored by the Department of Philosophy and the Mercy Center for Spiritual Life. For more information, contact Dr. Lois Eveleth, professor of philosophy, at (401) 341-3170.