Certified students offering free tax preparation assistance
Salve Regina’s accounting students, in cooperation with AARP (American Association of Retired Persons), will offer free tax preparation assistance from noon to 4 p.m. Wednesdays through April 18.
Open to any individual or family earning less than $53,000, the service will be provided in the McKillop Library (first floor). There will be no session on March 14 due to spring break.
Those who are interested should bring the following:
- Social security card for self, spouse and all dependents (if applicable)
- Photo ID for self and spouse (if applicable)
- All 2017 W-2, 1099 and 1095-A forms
- Copy of 2016 federal tax return, if available
- Tax identification number (SSN or EIN) of any child care providers
Under the guidance of Paul McKillop, senior lecturer in the Department of Business Studies and Economics and a certified public accountant, the students have achieved the advanced AARP certification necessary to prepare tax returns.
Once the returns – both federal and state – are reviewed by the AARP controller, they will be e-filed. Open to the University community and the general public, the service is being provided on a first come, first served basis.