Department of English offers Career Connections Day
What can someone do with an English major? Public relations and publishing, social media and traditional newspapers, teaching and nonprofit management – and that’s just for starters.
These career paths and others will be the focus of the Department of English’s Career Connections Day, scheduled for 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 16 in the DiStefano Lecture Hall. Co-sponsored by the Office of Career Development and featuring a panel of English alumni, the event is free and open to the public.
“Our junior and senior majors will welcome the advice our alumni can offer about how to navigate the job market,” said Dr. D. Matthew Ramsey, chairman of the Department of English. “But first-year students and sophomores will also have the chance to explore their career options as English majors. It’s never to early to start thinking about how to get the most out of your major – and the most out of your professional life.”
The panel will feature alumni in English literature and English communications. Breakout sessions will allow those interested in the major to talk with panelists more one-on-one. For those interested in graduate school, a session on selecting and applying to graduate programs will also be included.
Alumni participating in the event include:
- Sarah Anderson ’12, account coordinator, SVM Public Relations & Marketing Communications
- Melanie Brozek ’13, digital marketing associate, Netsense
- Tim Lynch ’10, membership director/GED case manager, Boys & Girls Club of Plymouth
- Brittany Lyon ’09, advertising manager, Patch Media Corporation
- Melissa Pucci ’02, director of admissions, Yale University School of Nursing
- Nate Sanders ’09, admissions counselor, Salve Regina University
- Iain Wilson ’09, reporter, South County Independent
For more information, contact Dr. Donna Harrington-Lueker at firstname.lastname@example.org or Michael Wisnewski at email@example.com.