Fresh Check Day encourages dialogue about mental health
Fresh Check Day, an uplifting mental health promotion and suicide prevention event, will be hosted at Salve on Thursday, Sept. 20. Interactive expo booths, peer-to-peer messaging, refreshments, entertainment and giveaways will be available from 1-4 p.m. on the Wakehurst lawn.
The signature program of the Jordon Porco Foundation, Fresh Check Day aims to create an approachable atmosphere in which students can engage in dialogue about mental health, and to build a bridge between students and the mental health resources available on campus, in the community and nationally.
Participating student organizations include:
- Black Student Union
- Campus Activities Board
- Multicultural Student Organization
- Psychology Club
- Resident Advisors
- Social Work Club
- Student Government Association
The Championship Melt food truck will be on hand from 1-3 p.m., and Things for Thursday featuring pura vida bracelets will also take place during this timeframe. Raffle prizes range from aromatherapy sets to a 32-inch Roku television.
Fresh Check Day’s primary goals are to:
- Increase awareness of mental health resources available to students
- Reduce stigma and misconceptions around mental health and suicide that often deter individuals from seeking help
- Empower peers to be gatekeepers by understanding warning signs and knowing what to do if a friend is exhibiting signs of suicide or a mental health concern
- Increase willingness to ask for help if experiencing emotional distress