Study Abroad Day celebration includes opportunity to get, renew passport
College and university campuses across the country celebrate Study Abroad Day Monday, Feb. 27. To honor this day, the Center for Global Education and Fellowships will be offering passport sessions on Feb. 27 from Noon to 2 p.m. It’s a great time for anyone at Salve Regina to get a new passport or renew an old one.
This session does not allow for walk-ins and requires registration prior to the passport day. Those who register first will receive priority for their requested time slot. Please note that pre-registration ends on Thursday, Feb. 23, at 11:59 p.m. so to secure your spot pre-register for a passport session here.
Participants should bring the required documentation listed below, and they are encouraged to complete forms before arrival. All required forms will also be available during the session. A representative from the U.S. Postal Service will also be on hand to make the process as quick and easy as possible.
Requirements for new passports:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, which includes one of the following: Previously issued, undamaged and fully valid U.S. passport; certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state; consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth; naturalization certificate; or certificate of citizenship.
- Proof of identification, which includes one of the following: Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport; naturalization certificate; valid driver’s license; current government ID (city, state or federal); or current military ID (military and dependents). Photocopies (front and back) are necessary.
- Form DS11. Copies will also be available at the event.
- Two personal checks or money orders (cash and credit cards are not accepted). One $130 check should be made payable to “U.S. Department of State” and one $35 check should be made payable to “U.S. Postal Service.” Anyone needing expedited processing will need to pay additional fees.
- A photographer will be available for an additional $15 fee, which must be paid to U.S. Postal Service via check.
Requirements for renewal passports:
- First, participants should make sure they are eligible to renew by mail. Check the guidelines.
- Don’t forget to bring in the old passport. It will be mailed back to once the new passport has been processed.
- Form DS82. Copies will also be available at the event.
- A personal check or money order (cash and credit cards are not accepted). The $130 check should be made payable to “U.S. Department of State.”
- A photographer will be available for an additional $15 fee, paid to U.S. Postal Service via check. Participants can also use their own photo using these guidelines.
- Passport renewals will be mailed to the processing center. The Center for Global Education and Fellowships will provide envelopes and cover the cost of shipping for those who participate in Passport Day.
Please pre-register for a passport session here.
Featured image by Getty Images/Maudib