University community invited to Fall Festival Weekend events
Members of the Salve Regina community are invited to join alumni, parents and friends for a wide variety of activities related to Fall Festival Weekend, which begins Friday, Oct. 2 and wraps up Sunday, Oct. 4. Students, faculty and staff are welcome to participate in any or all weekend events.
A highlight of the weekend will be the celebration of scholars and scholarship, scheduled for 11:15 a.m. Saturday in the O’Hare Academic Center. All are invited to learn more about O’Hare’s ongoing renovation and expansion project, tour the recently completed classroom wing, and interact with students and faculty from academic disciplines such as biology and biomedical sciences, business studies and economics, chemistry, nursing and social work.
All events are free of charge unless indicated otherwise. Due to the potential for inclement weather, members of the Salve Regina community are encouraged to monitor this post and social media for updates to the weekend’s schedule of events.
Friday, Oct. 2
- Festa Italiana – 5 p.m., Miley cafeteria, $10. Kick off Fall Festival weekend with dinner in Miley, featuring an Italian theme and cuisine.
- Friday Night Live: Fall festival – 8 p.m., Miley Hall garden level. Join the Office of Student Activities for caricatures, photo booth, candy apples, fried dough, cotton candy and more. Guaranteed to be a fun time for all.
- Hunger Concert – 8 p.m., Ochre Court, $5 for general admission, $3 for students and children. Rock out against hunger as you enjoy students’ musical performances while helping to support local soup kitchens.
- Young alumni homecoming – 9 p.m., O’Brien’s Pub. What better way to get the weekend started than a reception at O’Brien’s Pub? Complimentary appetizers and cash bar.
Saturday, Oct. 3
- 5th annual Kids Fun Run – 8 a.m., Rodgers Recreation Center. Children ages 2 and up can enjoy a fun run on campus. Registration is free and starts at 7 a.m. Pre-register online at salve.edu/run.
- 16th annual 5K Mansion Run and Walk – 8:30 a.m., Rodgers Recreation Center. Lace up your running shoes and sneakers for a fun run or walk through campus and the Ochre Point neighborhood. Registration opens at 7 a.m. Pre-register online at salve.edu/run.
- 12th annual Fall Festival awards ceremony – 10 a.m., Bazarsky Lecture Hall. The ceremony honors and acknowledges academic achievement, community service and those that live the University mission.
- Spirit tent – 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Rodgers Recreation Center. The spirit tent is your one-stop for student activities and Salve Regina Seahawk information.
- Celebration of scholars and scholarship – 11:15 a.m., O’Hare Academic Center. Celebrate enhancements to O’Hare, tour new learning facilities and view research conducted by students and faculty.
- Men’s soccer vs. Wentworth Institute of Technology – Noon, Brother Reynolds Field.
- Men’s tennis vs. University of Massachusetts Boston – Noon, Leroy Avenue tennis courts.
- Parent panel: “What You Need to Know” – Noon, Bazarsky Lecture Hall. Listen and learn from parents of current students about the challenges first-year students (and their parents) face. A question-and-answer session and a brief reception will follow.
- Women’s tennis vs. Nichols College – Noon, Leroy Avenue tennis courts.
- Football vs. Curry College – 1 p.m., Gaudet Field, Middletown.
- Pell Honors Program reception – 1-3 p.m., Ochre Court. Dr. Khalil Habib, director of the Pell Honors Program, welcomes Pell Honors alumni, parents and current scholars to learn about plans for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Sigma Phi Sigma induction ceremony – 3 p.m., Our Lady of Mercy Chapel. Alumni are welcome to join in as current Salve Regina students are inducted into the 2015 Sigma class. Light refreshments will be served in the Mercy Center following the ceremony.
- Women’s soccer vs. Wentworth Institute of Technology – 3 p.m., Brother Reynolds Field.
- Athletic Hall of Fame dinner and induction ceremony – 6 p.m., Ochre Court, $50. The event begins at 6 p.m. in Ochre Court with a reception, followed by dinner and inductions. Guests must pre-register.
- Women’s field hockey vs. Roger Williams University – 6 p.m., Gaudet Field, Middletown.
- Movie night: “Minions” – 9 p.m., Bazarsky Lecture Hall. Complimentary popcorn will be served.
- Fall Festival Night In Newport – 9 p.m., Newport Blues Cafe. Alumni, parents and friends are invited to Newport’s classic hot spot for complimentary appetizers and cash bar.
Sunday, Oct. 4
- Discover Newport city tours – 9, 10 and 11 a.m., Miley Hall parking lot, $5. Enjoy the charm of Newport’s historic buildings and restored homes on this narrated trolley tour. Sponsored by the local convention and visitors bureau, Discover Newport.
- Mass – 11 a.m., Our Lady of Mercy Chapel. Immediately following Mass, join President Jane Gerety, RSM for coffee and light refreshments.