Winter storm alert: December 2020
A winter storm warning is in effect from 7 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 16 through 1 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 17. The current forecast calls for snow accumulations of 6-11 inches, with winds gusting up to 55 mph.
Due to the impending storm, Salve Regina will be closed Thursday, Dec. 17.
Sodexo has announced modified dining hours for Thursday:
- Miley dining hall will be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Starbucks/Miley Mart will be open from 1-10 p.m.
- McKillop Library cafe will be open from 1-9:30 p.m.
Health Services and the respiratory clinic will be closed Thursday. Students with emergencies should call Safety and Security at (401) 341-2325 or visit the emergency department at Newport Hospital.
The library has announced modified hours for Wednesday and Thursday:
- Closing at 7 p.m. Wednesday (remote chat service will be available until 9 p.m.)
- Open from noon to 10 p.m. Thursday
Both the on-campus and off-campus shuttles are canceled Wednesday evening. Shuttle service will resume Thursday evening.
Parking Ban (Newport)
The city of Newport will have a parking ban in effect from 9 p.m. Wednesday through 5 p.m. Thursday.
The following streets are designated tow zones for emergency snow removal: Annandale Road, Bellevue Avenue (from Kay Street to Bowery Street), Bedlow Avenue, Bliss Road, Broadway, Coggeshall Avenue, East Bowery Street, Farewell Street, Friendship Street, Gibbs Avenue, Gould Street, Kay Street, Powel Avenue, Spring Street, Summer Street, Thames Street, Third Street, Warner Street, Washington Street, Washington Square, West Marlboro Street, West Narragansett Avenue, William Street and Van Zandt Avenue (from J.T. Connell Memorial Road East to Malbone Road).
Vehicles parked on these streets while the ban is in effect may be towed. Residents may utilize the Gateway Center, Mary Street and Easton’s (First) Beach parking lots free of charge during the parking ban.
Parking Ban (Middletown)
The town of Middletown will have a parking ban in effect from 7 p.m. Wednesday through 7 a.m. Friday. There will be no parking on any road in town during this time. Residents are reminded to keep their sidewalks clear for pedestrian traffic.
- The Office of Safety and Security is open 24/7. The best number to reach them is (401) 341-2325. If you are unable to reach Safety and Security by phone, notify your RA or area coordinator.
- If you experience a power loss, contact Safety and Security. Emergency crews from National Grid will be on call during the storm and will restore power as soon as possible.
- Charge your cell phone ahead of time. In the event of a prolonged power loss, this will ensure that you have cell phone usage.
- You should never use candles, even if the power goes out.
Important Phone Numbers
- Safety and Security (24 hours): (401) 341-2325
- National Grid power outage: (800) 465-1212
- National Grid gas leak: (800) 640-1595