Winter storm alert: February 2017
The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning, which is in effect through 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9. The current forecast calls for snow accumulations of 12-18 inches, along with winds gusting up to 55 mph.
As a result, the University will be closed Thursday and all classes in Newport and Warwick are canceled. The University will resume regular hours of operation on Friday, Feb. 10.
The University will provide ongoing updates through this post, Facebook, Twitter and salve.edu email. If necessary, the University will activate its Salve-Alert text messaging system.
Sodexo Dining Services
Thursday hours for the Miley cafeteria are:
- Continental breakfast from 8:30-11 a.m.
- Lunch from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Soup, salad, deli and snack from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Dinner from 4:30-7:30 p.m.
Miley Mart/Starbucks will be open from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday. Jazzman/Sandella’s and Global Cafe will be closed.
Due to the hazardous weather conditions, both the on-campus and off-campus shuttles are canceled Thursday.
RIPTA will terminate all bus service after 6 p.m. Thursday. RIPTA anticipates the resumption of regular service on Friday.
Health Services will be open from 8:30 a.m. to noon Thursday. The free HIV testing scheduled for noon to 2 p.m. Thursday is canceled. Students should contact Safety and Security for any urgent issues when Health Services is closed. The office will resume regular hours of operation on Friday.
Thursday’s performance of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” has been canceled. Additional performances will be held at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday in the Casino Theatre.
Parking Ban (Newport)
The city of Newport will have a parking ban in effect from noon to 11:59 p.m. Thursday. Residents may utilize the following parking lots free of charge during the parking ban: Gateway Center, Mary Street lot and Easton’s (First) Beach.
The following streets are designated tow zones for emergency snow removal work: Annandale Road, Bellevue Avenue (Kay Street to Bowery Street), Bedlow Avenue, Bliss Road, Broadway, Coggeshall Avenue, Dr. Marcus Wheatland Boulevard, East Bowery Street, Farewell Street, Friendship Street, Gibbs Avenue, Gould Street, Kay Street, Powel Avenue, Spring Street, Summer Street, Thames Street, Third Street, Warner Street, Washington Street, Washington Square, West Narragansett Avenue, William Street and Van Zandt Avenue (J.T. Connell Memorial Road East to Malbone Road).
Residents of buildings where sidewalks are present are required to clear snow from the sidewalks per the established city ordinance.
Parking Ban (Middletown)
The town of Middletown will have a parking ban in effect from 6 a.m. Thursday through 6 a.m. Friday. There will be no parking on any road in town during this time. Residents are reminded to keep their sidewalks clear for pedestrian traffic.
- The Office of Safety and Security is open 24/7. The best number to reach them is (401) 341-2325. If you are unable to reach Safety and Security by phone, notify your RA or area coordinator.
- If you experience a power loss, contact Safety and Security. Emergency crews from National Grid will be on-call during the storm and will restore power as soon as possible.
- Charge your cell phone ahead of time. In the event of a prolonged power loss, this will ensure that you have cell phone usage.
- You should never use candles, even if the power goes out.
Important Phone Numbers
- Safety and Security (24 hours): (401) 341-2325
- National Grid power outage: (800) 465-1212
- National Grid gas leak: (800) 640-1595