Winter storm alert: January 2016
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning, which is in effect through 7 a.m. Sunday. The current forecast calls for snow accumulations of 8-12 inches, along with winds gusting up to 55 mph.
Students are asked not to travel unless absolutely necessary and to be mindful of slippery sidewalks and roadways. The University shuttle system will be in operation, but severe weather conditions may cause modifications to the schedule. Students should monitor the message board on the SafeStop mobile application for any changes in shuttle service.
Due to poor road conditions, no on- or off-campus shuttles will run Saturday night.
Snow shovels for students are available in the Office of Safety and Security. Students must turn in their Salve Regina ID in order to check out a shovel.
Parking Ban (Newport)
The city of Newport will have a parking ban in effect from 10 p.m. Saturday to 8 a.m. Sunday. Residents may utilize the following parking lots free of charge during the parking ban: Gateway Center, Mary Street lot and Easton’s (First) Beach.
The following streets are designated tow zones for emergency snow removal work:
- Bellevue Avenue (Kay Street to Bowery Street)
- Friendship Street
- Spring Street
- Summer Street
- Thames Street
- Washington Square
- West Marlborough Street
- Van Zandt Avenue (J.T. Connell Memorial Road to Malbone Road)
Parking Ban (Middletown)
The town of Middletown will have a parking ban in effect through 4 p.m. Sunday.
The men’s and women’s basketball games at Curry College will now start at noon (women) and 2 p.m. (men).
The men’s ice hockey game against Suffolk University (at Portsmouth Abbey School) has been moved from 7:05 p.m. to a 3:40 p.m. start.
The bookstore and the McKillop Library are closed for the remainder of the day (Saturday).
“Spring Awakening” Auditions
Auditions for the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance’s production of “Spring Awakening,” originally scheduled for Saturday, have been postponed to Sunday, Jan. 31 at 6 p.m. in the Antone Academic Center’s Megley Theatre.
HLC584: Movement, Creativity and Consciousness
The weekend workshop HLC584: Movement, Creativity and Consciousness, scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, has been canceled. The workshop will be rescheduled.
- The Office of Safety and Security is open 24/7. The best number to reach them is (401) 341-2325. If you are unable to reach Safety and Security by phone, notify your RA or area coordinator.
- If you experience a power loss, contact Safety and Security. Emergency crews from National Grid will be on-call during the storm and will restore power as soon as possible.
- Charge your cell phone ahead of time. In the event of a prolonged power loss, this will ensure that you have cell phone usage.
- You should never use candles, even if the power goes out.
Important Phone Numbers
- Safety and Security (24 hours): (401) 341-2325
- National Grid power outage: (800) 465-1212
- National Grid gas leak: (800) 640-1595